Hearing Block 1
Dates: 31 October to 11 November 2022
Location: Presidential Ballroom, Pullman Brisbane King George Square, corner Ann and Roma Streets, Brisbane City QLD 4000
Time: 10:00am AEST
The focus of hearing block 1 will be the establishment, design and implementation of the Robodebt scheme.
During hearing block 1, the Commission intends to include the following matters:
- The statutory framework in which the Robodebt scheme was brought into existence and changes to that framework;
- The development of the scheme as government policy;
- The role of persons in positions of seniority and why the scheme was considered necessary or desirable and the advice and analysis upon which that view was formed;
- The extent of planning and testing;
- Whether advice was sought about the lawfulness of the scheme;
- The role played by the Budget process in establishing the scheme and measures necessary for it to commence and continue;
- The means of debt recovery including the use of debt collectors and commissions on amounts recovered;
- The imposition of a 10 per cent penalty in addition to the calculated debts; and
- How and at what point did the scheme become automated and how did the raising and recovery of debts differ from previous debt recovery processes undertaken by the relevant department.
Public hearings will generally run from 10am to 4:30pm AEST, however these times are approximate and subject to change. Anyone proposing to attend and watch the hearing in person can pre-register, though it is not a requirement. The proceedings will also be available via live stream on our website.
Please note that the hearings are held in Brisbane, Queensland, which does not observe Daylight Saving Time. For example, 10am Brisbane will be 11am in NSW, ACT, Victoria and Tasmania. Find out more about Daylight Saving and Australian time zones.